Promotional Ideas For Adopt A Cat Month
American Humane celebrates Adopt-A-Cat Month® each June – a month that also marks the height of “kitten season,” when large litters of kittens are born and often end up in animal shelters.
Although cats have often been referred to as America’s “Most Popular Pet,” with an estimated 94 million living in U.S. households, they receive less veterinary care than their canine counterparts. Get Tips For Taking Your Cat To The Vet.
Useful for: Organizations that provide services to cats and cat owners like veterinarians, pet supplies, pet adoption shelters.
Outcome: Links cat service providers with local information.
Promotional Ideas For Adopt A Cat Month:
- Social Media Campaign: Establish a page on your website to share an adoptable cat or Facebook page each day of the month.
- Call your local pet shelters: Find out what resources they need and make a donation. Shelters need many things ranging from pet food and pet bowls, beds, blankets, spay/neuter costs, to office and cleaning supplies.
- Sponsor Adoption Clinic: Provide support for a local cat adoption day or clinic. Donate refreshments, supplies, or giveaways that reinforce the activity.
- Recruit Foster Homes and Shelter Volunteers: Encourage volunteers to sign up to take in homeless cats and help at the local adoption or rescue shelter.
Thinking About Adopting A Cat?
Here are some tips from American Humane
- If you’re thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
- Find a cat whose personality meshes with yours.
- Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
- Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
- Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
- Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
- Cat-proof your home.
- Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
- Be sure to include your new pet in your family’s emergency plan.
- If you’re considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.