There is no doubt that the COVID-19 Crisis has disrupted most businesses. As we approach the end of the year, many of our traditions will be a different year.
Halloween is certain to be a challenge for many communities in 2021, but it is not expected to be as devastating for businesses that depend on this holiday for most of their sales as in 2020.
My company generally sells a lot of promotional bags for trick-or-treating. If you had asked me in late August if we would have any interest, I would have told you absolutely not. As it turns out, over the last few weeks, many of my clients have ordered Halloween promotions. And a lot of churches and other non-profits have ordered for Fall Festivals or Truck-or-Treat.
There probably will be fewer individual “Trick or Treat” activities but more group events such as “Trunk or Treat.” Still, there certainly will not be as many activities as in 2019.
The Center for Disease Control has issued guidelines for Halloween that include lower-risk activities that are safe such as :
- Carving or decorating pumpkins with members of your household and displaying them
- Carving or decorating pumpkins outside, at a safe distance, with neighbors or friends
- Decorating your house, apartment, or living space
- Doing a Halloween scavenger hunt where children are given lists of Halloween-themed things to look for while walking outdoors from house to house, admiring Halloween decorations at a distance.
- Have a virtual Halloween costume contest
- Have a Halloween movie night with people you live with
- Have a scavenger hunt-style trick-or-treat search with your household members in or around your home rather than going house to house.
Parents Magazine has a good article on Halloween for 2020
While Halloween is very likely to be impacted by the COVID-19 Crisis, some companies like Hershey Candy are optimistic about the upcoming holiday.
While many associate Halloween with trick-or-treating, Hershey said it’s actually a 10-week celebration that includes personal treats at-home candy bowls, baking, decorating, and gifting. Studies actually show that last year, 37 percent of Halloween shopping took place before October, with activity in-store building anticipation and excitement for the Halloween season.
Indeed Hershey’s says half of their product is purchased for personal consumption.
A National Confectioners Association Halloween poll showed that 74 percent of Millennial moms believe Halloween is more important than ever this year as families and communities create a new normal together.
More Fall Festival or Halloween Promotional Items
This Pumpkin Stress Reliever shown is just one of the hundreds of Fall or Halloween Promotional Items. Many can be customized with your name, logo, or message. We have one of the largest selections of Fall Promotions on the Internet. Our Halloween Retail Traffic Promotion is great for any business that wants or needs family traffic. Find more ways to promote your business on the Marketing Resource Blog Calendar of Events Page.